Saturday 21 December 2013

Makeup for Photography Tips from John Cassidy

As a makeup artist I am constantly working with a variety of photographers and find that getting both makeup and photography right are the key to getting the best out of an image or a client. I recently had the pleasure of chatting with John Cassidy online about the relationship between the two creatives and he asked me to write a blog post for him on his website which can be found at 


In return, I received a fab article on makeup for photography through the eyes of the photographer and what he looks for in a makeup look and thought I would share this interesting piece with you below:


When it comes to headshots for Ladies I have to take into consideration the make-up that has been applied and use all the tools that are available to me to capture the best photo possible. I’ve always preferred the natural look when it comes to headshots but it depends entirely on the individual, their business and what they are hoping to communicate with this photograph. 


To achieve a natural and complimentary look I use a soft wrap around lighting set-up, this helps to give all skin types a smooth look for their over-all complexion. When make-up is used in the right way it helps to accentuate facial features and draw focus to certain areas. The feature that I prefer to be the most predominant is the eyes. We’ve all heard the saying that the eyes are the window to the soul and it is something that I see time and time again in my profession. The best headshots that I see are when the clients eyes are warm and inviting – giving them an approachable look. Using a good foundation is also essential as it prevents the skin from reflecting the lights that I use. 

By using a professional make-up artist, female clients tend to feel more confident and make the most of their shoot. The added confidence tends to make clients feel as though the shoot is more of an experience rather than a daunting task. 




It all comes down to personal preference. I find that make-up, like hair, is a personal choice for female clients to make. Some women prefer more make-up whilst others prefer to keep it simple and natural. 

To find out more please visit my website www.theheadshotguy.co.uk 



If you have any questions at all please feel free to get in touch via Twitter https://twitter.com/John__Cassidy 





No comments:

Post a Comment