Monday 30 September 2013

Battle of the Balms


Cleansing balms really are the word on the street at the moment when it comes to skincare. I used to be a cream/gel wash kinda gal until skincare guru Caroline Hirons explained that balms are much more effective in removing traces of makeup and grime and as a heavy makeup wearer I knew that I had to invest in a balm immediately!

I always use Bioderma to take off my makeup before cleansing as I like to feel that I have removed the top layer of muck before getting into cleansing. It is a great product for quick makeup removal particularly for makeup artists!




 If I am wearing particularly strong make up I will also use Dermalogica Pre cleanse, an oil based cleanser to be used on dry skin to break down product on the skin before you even reach for your cleanser. I love this product because it doesn't leave any oily residue behind and is suitable for all skin types including oily. If you wear a lot of makeup you NEED Pre-cleanse.




Back to the balms and there are lots of brands now doing cleansing balms but I have tried out 3 of these and will be letting you know how I feel about each of them.



Emma Hardie Amazing Face balm 100ml £34 - www.feelunique.com

The first balm I ever tried was Emma Hardie. This balm has become a cult favourite with beauty bloggers and I bought mine on the recommendation from fellow skincare addicts. When I found out that Caroline Hirons loves it too I knew it would be a worthwhile addition to my ever growing skincare collection.

I like the smell because it smells clean but not too overpowering. I find that its great for removing all traces of makeup. It comes with a great cloth too and can be used around eye area without stinging.
The only negative I found is that I don't particularly like the packaging style and my lid broke but I have heard that the packaging has been changed since I bought mine. It is a good starting balm for those of you who have never tried one!


Elemis Pro Collagen cleansing balm 105g £39.50 - www.feelunique.com

The next balm I tried was Elemis pro collagen balm. There was a real buzz around this product as the Elemis pro collagen range is widely known for its great anti ageing effects on the skin and even though I am only 27 I believe in getting in there early with anti ageing and many skincare therapists ive spoken to have said that early 20's at least is ideal to be starting to prevent ageing on skin.

This product looks and feels luxurious on the skin. It has a real pamper spa feel to it so was lovely to use at the end of the day. However I did not enjoy the smell and when I used this anywhere near the eye area it made them sting or water. I would recommend this for someone with slightly drier skin as it feels rich on the skin.

Elemental Herbology Purify & Soothe Facial cleansing balm 75ml £30 - www.feelunique.com

Lastly I wanted to try the purify and soothe balm from Elemental Herbology. This brand isn't as widely known but fellow skincare addicts will know that this brand graces the shelves of Space NK (my mecca) and has some popular products such cell food serum which are becoming cult favourites.

This balm comes in tube which I find is a handier size and more hygenic than the tub versions. The packaging has nice high end feel to it. I like the smell of this product too and the texture is comfortable yet lush. The product can feel slightly too rich for when my skin is a little more oily but I would say for normal to combination it is ideal.

For me, each of the balm has its own selling point but at the end of the day it may just come down to how my skin is looking or feeling. For the summer months I would probably be using the Emma Hardie , for when my skin is drier in winter I may find myself switching to the elemental herbology whilst the Elemis balm will be ideal when I want to plump the skin and really target ageing issues.

If I had to pick an all round winner it would be Elemental Herbology because I know that when I use that product it will result in the removal of all makeup and grime, will leave no residue behind and leaves me with that truly clean skin feeling but I am keen to try more cleansing balms on the market.

Which is your favourite balm and why?

x

4 comments:

  1. I used to use PreCleanse all the time and ran out about 6 months ago and totally forgot to repurchase! So that and the Emma Hardie balm (maybe even the Elemis one) are on my shopping list! I love Elemental Herbology, that balm is one of my faves xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe glad I could be of service reminding you how good it is! yes i'm definitely keen to try more elemental now! thanks for your comment zoe :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to try the Emma Hardie balm for ages - the price puts me off!
    Becky x

    http://beckysbeautyobsession.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ya Hun, I'm from LouLovesbeauty and just wanted to say thank you do much for following me! I love your blog so have of course followed back! :)
    xXx

    ReplyDelete